Why Retailers Are Losing The Fight Against Online
Highlights of the report include:
- According to the International Trademark Association, nearly $500 billion worth of counterfeit goods were bought and sold last year, mostly online.
- A typical Fortune 500 corporation may have a thousand or more domain names. Yet not every corporate domain includes an organization’s trademark.
- Passive DNS sees 2½ new second-level domains per second and 50-60 new Fully Qualified New Domains (FQND) per second.
- We looked in-depth at four international luxury brands, Burberry, Cartier, Gucci and Prada.
- Each of the brands had its name included in many thousands of effective second-level domain names.
- Using Farsight Passive DNS and DomainTools solutions, we were able to show that brand name infringement is an enormous and significant challenge to today’s retailers.